child-with-asthmaDamp and moldy buildings are responsible for an increase in asthma and the early onset of childhood asthma. Anyone with young children in the home should be aware of the potentially harmful effects of long-term exposure to mold and this potential link to asthma in children. Research shows that you don’t have to see mold for it to cause problems. The smell alone can be bad enough, household mold odour increased kids’ asthma risk about 2.5 times, according to the study.

WHO – World Health Organization

The World Health Organization has found that an exposure to mold in a child’s early years could lead to the development of asthma and other health problems. Mold contains allergens, which can trigger hay fever or asthma in sensitive people. They also produce a musty odor that can cause irritation to the nose, eyes, and throat.

In the WHO publication Guidlines for indoor air quality – Dampness and Mould on p93,   the following is stated:   “Sufficient epidemiological evidence is available from studies conducted in different countries and under different climatic conditions to show that the occupants of damp or mouldy buildings, both houses and public buildings, are at increased risk of respiratory symptoms, respiratory infections and exacerbation of asthma.”

WHO Down Load Link: Guidlines for indoor air quality – Dampness and Mould 

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention refers to the above study when they state that damp and moldy buildings need to be remedied as soon as possible.

The Institute of Medicine has also found evidence linking indoor exposure to mold with other upper respiratory tract systems, coughing and wheezy in otherwise healthy people. It could also trigger hypersensitivity pneumonitis, an immune-related condition, in patients who are susceptible to it.